Home safety

Electricity within your home must be treated with respect. The fact that you can’t see electricity makes it more dangerous, so it’s important to keep a few simple safety tips in mind when you are working with electrical appliances around the home.

  • Switch off appliances before you unplug.
  • Replace any frayed or brittle cords.
  • Always stand well clear of wires, warn others and us immediately if you spot a fallen electrical wire.
  • Never take portable appliances like radios, heaters, phones and hairdryers into the shower or bath and don't spray cleaners and solvents on switches or sockets.

DIY home electrical work

We recommend that for all wiring and appliance repair work, you use an electrician who is a member of the New Zealand Electrical Contractors' Association (ECANZ). Visit their website for a list of contractors in your area.

The law does allow you to complete certain electrical work yourself if you comply with set standards. But, unless you know what you are doing, we advise that you use a licensed electrician. Installing your own wiring or fixing appliances is not as simple as it may seem, and puts you at risk of electric shock or causing a fire.  Also, if you sell the house or appliance at a later date, you may be liable under law for any consequence of your workmanship.

Always comply with the following safety precautions:

  • make sure the power is turned off
  • carry out proper safety tests
  • do not connect the wiring yourself – this must be done by an electrical inspector.